Posts

Meeting of 13th July 2011

On August 23, 2011, in Hillingdon Motorists' Forum, by Peter Silverman
0

Hillingdon Motorist Forum.

NOTES of MEETING WEDNESDAY 13 july 2011

Present:

Forum Members                                                                 Hillingdon Council

Dick Walker               Jean Smith                                        Bob Castelijn

Bryan Watts              Herbert Levenger                             Cllr Brian Crowe

Martin Plummer        June Wood

John Rosser

The Chairman welcomed the new members to the Forum

 

1. Apologies for Absence.

David Knowles, Jean Smith, Pam & Mike Herbert, Lyn Joel, Peter Ryder, Walter Holmes, Wyne Bridges

 2. Notes of the May Meeting

The notes were agreed a true record.

 3. Chairman’s and Other Reports

– An article appeared in the Uxbridge Gazette publicising the Forum and its work. I was contacted by several people interested in the Forum.

– The Forum now has a mention on the Hillingdon Watch website:

www.hillingdon-watch.org.uk/hillingdon-mototrists-forum

If members have any items they would like to be added on the site please let me know.

– The Chairman and Martin attended the Northwood Hills Community event. Several issues were raised.

– I now attend the HARA (Hillingdon Association of Residents Associations) meetings. This means the Forum is in contact with all the Hillingdon Residents Associations by attending one meeting.

–  I received a reply form Mr Knowles on the Eastcote Park Estate issues raised by Mr Ryder, the reply was passed to Mr Ryder. The Estate committee wishes to thank Mr Knowles for the response.

– Martin wrote to Boris Johnson, inviting him to attend a future Forum meeting. Unfortunately he was not available, if there are any issues we wish to raise directly with the Mayor we can contact him at the Email address mayor@london.gov.uk

– The attendance of Mr Cockbaine – TfL representative at the September meeting is confirmed.

Northwood Hills Residents Association

The 50mph speed limit along ducksHills Rdis now in operation. The Installation of the Pegasus crossing is awaiting TfL.

4. Progress on Current Issues

Traffic or High related issues:

-West Endlane Congestion caused by the RAF Northolt traffic light system.

Hillingdon is awaiting a response from TfL

– Traffic Light phasing on the slip road of the Osie Garin roundabout Parkway/ Uxbridge Rd

Hillingdon is awaiting TfL response.

– Position of theLees Rd/Uxbridge Rdbus stop.

The bus stop has been moved slightly further east – away from the junction withLees Rd.It is hope that this will overcome the difficulty of traffic turning left intoLees Rd.

– Eastcote Stn Access Scheme.

The council have confirmed that the scheme is now completed

– Taffic Light Phasing at the Stockly /PrologisParkEntrance.

It was considered that Lavender Rise should get green if A408 has no traffic and be more responsive to demand.

Response from Bob Castilijn following the meeting.-

LBH officers have been trying to resolve Lavender Rise problems forStockleyParkpeak time evening exit.

 

You may recall that the signals are linked from Lavender Rise down to and including the M4 roundabout.  LBH officers have had requests to ensure that once green all signals should remain so all the way onto the M4!  TheA408 Stockley Roadoperates a two-way system with side roads and signalled roundabouts of considerable size. The computer that runs them therefore will take demand form the north, south, side roads and the roundabouts into consideration. It follows therefore that side roads may not appear to respond how drivers think they should whilst the computer probably knows best.

Situation to be considered at the next meeting.

– Uxbridge Road / Gledwood Drive Traffic signals

The observation was made that at theUx Road/Gledwood Drivethe pedestrian and traffic lights go together.  Westbound drivers can not stop on time as 25m between the lights is not enough to stop for the second set of signals.

Attendees considered that the second set of signals should be timed so that drivers who can pass the first set of signals (through amber) can pass the second set as well (time lapse issue could resolve safety concern).

LBH will liaise with TfL regarding the timing of these signals.

-Pield Heath RdBus Stops.

It is clear that with the stops directly opposite one another there is a significant risk of congestion particularly at peak times. All that is needed to resolve the problem is to move the stop on the side of the road leading to the mini roundabout 50 yds further down the road. However the Chairman was disappointed to be told by Mr Castelijn that the position of the stops would not be changed.

– A40/Long Lane/Freezeland WaySignalled Junction

Observations were that the filter lane configuration on the eastbound approach is causing problems within the A40 / Long Lane junction area.  There are effectively two right turn lanes with no more than 4 vehicles able to make a right turn in one phase.  The two right turning lanes go down to one lane effectively within the junction area as the junction exit has only one lane.  Drivers sometimes also use the left turn lane to turn right during peak periods.  The lane skipping is a particular cause of concern.  Potential may exist to convert Straight Ahead / Right Turn lane into a Straight Ahead lane only.

Response from Mr Castelijn subsequent the meeting.

LBH Officers have visited the site several times, including the morning during AM peak and mid morning on14 July 2011, and have not observed specific problems.  We will continue to monitor the accident situation and behaviour on site.

 

– Long Lane /A4020 Uxbridge RoadTraffic Light Phasing

Observations were made that coming from Uxbridge the eastbound junction exit narrows.  The Left Turning traffic has to wait unnecessarily.  A Left Turn filter is needed so that traffic towards Long Lane has no unnecessary waiting time.  One comment was made that the phasing was bad anyway.  A further observation was made that the service road is used in two directions whilst it should be in one direction only – which conflicts with the traders wish as they do not want to lose trade.  Attendees wished us to explore potential for introduction of a left turn filter light fromUxbridge Roadtowards Long Lane.

Response received for Mr Castelijn subsequent to the meeting

There are currently three eastbound approach lanes matched by three exit lanes used by vehicles travelling eastbound onUxbridge Roadat its junction with Long Lane.  The eastbound exit lanes do reduce to two lanes further east which expects drivers to merge at a point which does not affect the junction exit capacity. Changing one of the approach lanes into a ‘left only’ lane is likely to significantly increase delay to eastbound traffic and reduce capacity at this junction.

 

In response to a request from the Council, TfL have been investigating the sequence of the traffic signals onUxbridge Road(westbound) at its junction with Long Lane. We have been informed that TfL are currently configuring a new control chip (PROM) which is expected to be ready to install within the next 6 weeks and should improve matters generally.

 

LBH will ask TfL to consider including this junction on one of their future timing review programmes.

– Stillwell roundabout lane markings

The lane marking design is under consideration.

– Road Planning for the 2012 Olympics

The M4 & M4 Spur bus lanes will be restricted to Olympic traffic for the duration of the games.

-SpringfieldRd /Uxbridge RdJunction.

 Members who live in the vicinity are preparing a response to the comments made by the Council at the May meeting.

Future Housing or Industrial Site Developments

MasterBrewer & HayesParkSites – At the time of the meeting no Planning Applications have been received by the Council

Planning Related Issues

– WestLondonWaste Plan. A detailed Assessment will be published in October.

– North / South Express bus route or Sustainable Corridor. . Alternatives are still under consideration.

5. Progress on Congestion Mitigation Programme

No developments to report.

 

6. Review of Hillingdon Forward Plan

There was no discussion of this item at the meeting.

7. New Issues Raised by Members.

– Traffic Light phasing at the Lavender Rise /StockleyParkjunction. This issue is included with the comments about thePrologisParkentrance.

– It was noted that during the period that the main Eastcote traffic lights were out of action for a short period the traffic flow was much smoother,in addition wthere was much less delay to pedestrians crossing the junction.

8. Any Other Business.

None

9 . Date of Next Meeting.

The next meeting will take place on14 September 2011commencing at7.00pmin Committee Rm 2

 

Richard Walker                                                                                August 2011

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
 

Comments are closed.


Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:


Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!

Visit our friends!

A few highly recommended friends...